Donnerstag, 4. November 2010

My essay about Web Technology


Our second study course by Anton Eliens is Web Technology. In Web Technology - as you might guess – we should inform us more about how the web works and learn to make for example our own homepages using html. We were still working on our video project during this course but we finally finished it a day before presentation. The presentation went quite good although I was pretty sure we won’t make it in time because in our group were some members who didn’t really make their work in time so that those who had to work with the material of the others had less time than planned. Because of me being the one who made the XIMPEL stuff which is the last step in the project, I had to hurry up. But I am glad we really made it in time in the end. To come back to the course, we had some new assignments. One of these was to make a “worst page”. Sounds stupid but I think it was one of the best assignments so far, because on the one side, you need to deal with the technology needed to program such a site and on the other side it can be very funny to make an annoying webpage.
As I already knew how to deal with HTML and PHP I knew the structure of these languages as well. That made it quite easy for me to learn how to include JavaScript and CSS into these documents. For my worst page I looked for a way to reload the page continuously after a specified amount of time. This is quite easy solved by using an AJAX function (which is in a way only JavaScript). So I reloaded the page 3 times a second or something like that. Then I wanted to implement a function that changes the position of the window as well as the size every time the page is reloaded. Using some random functions and searching for the commands to change the position and size of the window using JavaScript I soon had what I wanted. After that I searched for some annoying music which I found in a Japanese song. I added some sound tracks to the song using Adobe Premiere and then implemented the music as background music for the webpage. Then I searched for some annoying gif’s I could use for my background. As I found them I implemented one of them as default background and made another random variable which gave the webpage another background each time the page reloads. Finally I implemented an annoying text with random color black or white and put a mouse over event on the text which would again call my functions to change position and size of the screen and additionally call an alert function to open randomly between 1 and 20 times. This is the link to my worst page: http://ewi1544.ewi.utwente.nl/c.berg/worstpage/newhtml.html
But you will need to open it with the Mozilla Firefox Browser and please make sure your speakers aren’t too loud and you have no tabs opened you won’t find back. Although if you know how to, you may close the window easy. Just make sure your cursor stays on the most top of the screen to not activate the mouse over function, then simply close the window by pressing CTRL (German: STRG) and W.
To conclude the Web Technology course I would like to give a brief review. At first I think it wasn’t very logical to give us due dates for reviewing the group work that are before the final event. The same happened in the first course where we had to review our fellow students before really getting them to know. Although we could have changed that afterwards, but then why make a due date before?
Furthermore I heard from some students that we did not really learn anything in these courses and that we had to learn everything on our own. I personally had not really a problem with that but that might be because I did most of the stuff here in my last school. So for some students who for example did not write any line of code before or did not even know what HTML is, well they had a big problem learning all these things within a very short time. But then again I think you learn more if you did it yourself than just by hearing from any professor how to do this and that. By trying yourself you understand better what you do and you can remember it better. This tells me that there should be made a compromise between these two extremes. Although I really must admit that our teacher provided a very good support either by e-mail or personally. All in all, this course was a big deal better than the last and I really liked it although it made me work a lot.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen